|“|| Just because a dish is gorgeous and uses first-rate ingredients doesn't mean everyone will like it. Tastes change depending on likes and dislikes...feelings and emotions...memories and perception... It depends on each person to determine what they believe is tasty...
Teruteru Hanamura (花村 輝々), is a student of Hope's Peak Academy's Class 77-B, and a participant of the Killing School Trip featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. His title is the Ultimate Cook (超高校級の「料理人」 lit. Super High School Level Cook); however, he says he wishes to be known under the title of the Ultimate Chef (超高校級の「シェフ」 lit. Super High School Level Chef).
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Talent
- 4 History
- 4.1 Prior to the Tragedy
- 4.2 Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc
- 4.2.1 Episode 01 - Hello Again, Hope's Peak Academy
- 4.2.2 Episode 02 - My Impurest Heart for You
- 4.2.3 Episode 03 - A Farewell to All Futures
- 4.2.4 Episode 04 - The Melancholy, Surprise, and Disappearance of Nagito Komaeda
- 4.2.5 Episode 05 - The Beginning of the End
- 4.2.6 Episode 06 - A Despairfully Fateful Encounter
- 4.2.7 Episode 07 - The Biggest, Most Atrocious Incident in Hope's Peak Academy's History
- 4.2.8 Episode 08 - The Worst Reunion by Chance
- 4.2.9 Episode 09 - Chisa Yukizome Doesn't Smile
- 4.2.10 Episode 10 - Smile at Despair in the Name of Hope
- 4.2.11 Episode 11 - Goodbye, Hope's Peak Academy
- 4.3 Danganronpa Zero
- 4.4 During the Tragedy
- 4.5 Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Future Arc
- 4.6 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 4.7 Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the World Vanquisher
- 4.8 Side - Hope: The Academy of Hope and Students of Despair
- 5 Execution
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Free Time Events & Bonus Mode Guides
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 Navigation
He has a plump body and wears a classic chef outfit. It is composed of a red apron with a white undershirt, and a red handkerchief/scarf around his neck. Three silver stars are pinned on the right side of his undershirt. A small chef's hat sits on his head. He has dark brown hair all over that is styled in a pompadour that noticeably leans to the left, and constantly carries around a comb to fix his hair.
Unlike the characters of the first and the second game, Teruteru's eyes are normally two, dark dots or remain closed in the anime fashion. One sprite expression of his comically has his eyes in a style reminiscent of bishounen manga, and thick eyebrows accompanied with a nosebleed.
As the Ultimate Despair, he has red clothes, along with a larger red chef's hat. The scarf around his neck is now yellow. He tends to carry food ingredients on his back.
Teruteru is very lewd and usually can be seen hitting on anyone near him, male and female alike, often to the point of sexual harassment. Similar to Hifumi Yamada from the previous game, he can react to the slightest innuendo that surfaces in a conversation. However, he goes much further in his behavior than Hifumi, as he is completely fine with touching others without their consent and he's even been known to drug people with his food (like Hajime during the last Free Time Event) and try to take advantage of gullible ones (like trying to trick Sonia into sucking "poison" out of him). This, along with the fact that he very openly speaks about sexual things he's into, makes the others sometimes feel uncomfortable and grossed out around him. His lewd nature is further proven that his lodge has more porn magazines than it has things related to his real talent.
When he is not making innuendos or hitting on someone, Teruteru is shown to be decently friendly and relatively upbeat. He takes great pride in his cooking, insistently telling other people to call him Ultimate Chef instead of Ultimate Cook, as it 'gives off a more urban feeling'. He tries to create an image of a stylish urban person, sometimes even telling lies about his life and acting somewhat arrogant. He is ashamed to talk about his real home in the countryside, even though he loves his mother back at home greatly. He is motivated to work hard to help his sickly mother and make people he cares about happy with his food, though this original goal of his, often gets clouded by his desire for fame and fortune. Similarly, he began to focus only on complex and fancy food, even though in reality he deeply loves more simple type of food like the ones his mother made. He also has a tendency to use French terms even when referring to more plain and simple type of foods, such as calling donuts "beignets, bonne femme style", in an attempt to appear more fancy. Nevertheless, he takes cooking very seriously and is angered whenever someone treats ingredients and food in a way he considers offensive. He also has a strong dislike for junk food, openly calling it "shitty".
Though he is one of the more laid-back characters at first, Teruteru turns timider when Monokuma and the Monobeasts appear. He constantly denies that the terrifying things around him are actually happening and dismisses them, while in reality, he is becoming the most afraid and paranoid member of the group.
At times he can display signs of being quite ditzy and scatterbrained, mentioning to Hajime in one of their interactions that he forgot his original goal while being swept up in the whole talent concept. At times he can even be a little coy, for instance suggesting to himself jumping into Hajime's arms if frightened instead of actually mentioning his fright (Island Mode).
Teruteru, while he is kind and compassionate, has moments where he does not hesitate to make a snide comment, showing that despite his good heart, he can be rather snarky to the point of almost being spiteful at times. However, these are rare instances and we only see one instance in the game where he did this on purpose while under no stress. Other times he can display joking sarcasm (in his Island Mode ending, two of the options promp sarcastic teases from Teruteru, mainly jabbing at himself).
When extremely agitated, stressed, or angry, Teruteru loses his normal speech pattern and breaks down, yelling angrily in an incomprehensible, country-like dialect, which is extremely difficult for other standard Japanese speakers to understand. In the English version, Teruteru instead switches from standard English to an accent that heavily southern; while it was not difficult for players to comprehend the text as in the Japanese version, it proved quite difficult for the other students to understand him.
According to Kazutaka Kodaka, Teruteru had a few questionable aspects to him in the second game, referring to his sexual behavior and strange ways, but in Danganronpa 3 those unappealing sides of him don't come out as much after he gets to know the other students. Notably, the aphrodisiacs incident wasn't caused by him, but Hiyoko.
True to his title Teruteru is a great cook. As he was raised in a restaurant he was taught to cook at a very young age. His cooking was very well liked by everyone around him and with the assistance of Seiko, he could create concoctions like the doping corn syrup. His cooking is loved by the students.
In other languages
Teruteru's talent as it appears in official translations of Danganronpa material.
|Japanese||超高校級の「料理人」||Super High School Level Cook|
|French||Ultime Chef Cuisinier||Ultimate Head Chef|
|German||Super-Highschool-Koch||Super Highschool Chef|
|Italian||Super Cuoco Liceale||Super High School Level Cook|
|Japanese||超高校級の「シェフ」||Super High School Level Chef|
Prior to the Tragedy
Teruteru says he was born in Nishi-Azabu district in Minato, Tokyo, and raised in southern Aoyama. This is revealed to be a lie, as he actually comes from an unnamed town in the countryside; a fact he takes great stride in denying to others. He attended Kochi Prefectural Harajuku High School, hinting that he might have lived in the Kōchi Prefecture. He also had younger siblings, whom he dislikes because they were Hope's Peak potentials being Ultimate Host and Baroque Girl.
Teruteru's family ran its own diner, but unfortunately, his mother had an illness, causing her to be frail and collapse at times. It's also implied that their diner is constantly targeted by big chains and other businesses attempting to buy it out, prompting Teruteru to even enter an unnamed competition with his skills to help stall this. He dreamed to even one day open up diners in Azabu and Aoyama, the very places he constantly claimed to have come from to his classmates. He also claims to have competed in a cooking death match for his Family diner.
Teruteru was very worried about his mother's condition and her will to keep the Hanamura business running, especially after receiving the invitation to join Hope's Peak Academy. His mother insisted that she was strong enough to handle it, allowing Teruteru to leave and attend Hope's Peak. He made a promise to his mother that he would graduate from the school and attain certain success in life, and become a great chef in order to save the Hanamura Diner when he returned. He also promised to bring his future wife back home with him.
In Hope's Peak Academy, as the Ultimate Cook, he is in charge of the school kitchens. He also worked with Seiko Kimura in various recipes such as a strength-enhancing soup and thus may have retained other compositions of her research and incorporate them into his food.
Teruteru was in the kitchen until he heard Sonia Nevermind calling for him from the cafeteria. He immediately ran toward her and asked what food she wanted to order. Before he could harass Sonia with his perverted word, his homeroom teacher, Chisa Yukizome tied him up. His nosebleed ran when he was tied by Chisa and Nekomaru Nidai, saying that he was happy being tied by a lady in an apron and tolerated Nekomaru's action.
After he joined the group, Chisa had Teruteru cook a roast with Mahiru Koizumi, Hiyoko Saionji, and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu tending the fire, in hopes of drawing out Akane Owari. After spotting her, Teruteru couldn't believe that Akane smelled the grilled meat and came for it. Chisa quickly ordered Nekomaru to restrain Akane before she could reach Teruteru's cook. Later inside the school's dojo, Teruteru was struck by Chisa when he about to tease the girls.
Throughout the day, Teruteru and the others managed to retrieve most of their classmates. He and the others returned to the class and asked by Chisa to clean the classroom as she went to retrieve two remaining students. After returning to the classroom, Chisa was happy to see that Teruteru and the others had waited and that the classroom was clean. When the students once again bring up that they didn't have to go to class, so long as they have their talent, Chisa reminded them that talent isn't everything, and wanted them to build strong relationships and "hope" with each other.
Teruteru and half of his classmates took cover on the side of the class during Nekomaru and Akane's deadly training session that almost destroyed their classroom. When Akane was about to lose, Teruteru offered her his doping corn soup that he created with one of his upperclassmen, Seiko Kimura. As a result, Akane's strength greatly increased and she could even match Nekomaru's movement.
After Nekomaru and Akane's training session ended, Teruteru and the rest of his friends were busy cleaning and repairing the classroom. Afterwards, Chiaki offered them to play games that she bought. Chisa was surprised to hear Teruteru and Sonia's explanation about Chiaki's development.
During the break time, Teruteru and Hiyoko cooked nikujaga together and served it to their classmates and teacher. Unfortunately, Teruteru was unaware that Hiyoko stole one of his products named Sexy Sexy Soup that was full of aphrodisiacs and used it in his nikujaga. Teruteru was drowned in lust and about to molest Hiyoko before Chiaki came and delivered him a deadly uppercut, screamed "Taylor Swift!" in the end before he took to the nurse's office to recover.
On the next day, Chisa gathered Teruteru in the class with the others, announcing that she elected Chiaki as their class representative. Teruteru agreed with her, saying that Chiaki's uppercut was a nice hit.
At the beginning of the episode, Teruteru and his classmates walked past Hajime heading toward the Main Course building.
Several days later, Teruteru was shown in the classroom, looking worried at Mahiru who cried on Hiyoko's chest after she lost a friend of her from the Reserve Course, Sato.
Teruteru, along with his classmates, were still saddened and upset over the death of Fuyuhiko's little sister, when Chisa announced that the annual practical exam started on the next day.
Later, Teruteru was persuaded by Nagito by giving him a photo book of the infamous idol Sayaka Maizono that he found. He was very happy and willing to tell Nagito about Seiko, the upperclassmen that helped him to invent their doping soup.
At the end of the episode, Teruteru and his classmates met with Chisa who bid them farewell as she was transferred to the Reserve Course after the bombing incident involving one of her students, Nagito.
Teruteru was with his friends during Chisa's welcome back party in his classroom. He said to Chisa that one of his classmates, Fuyuhiko, didn't want to join until he saw how hard Chiaki worked to organize the party.
As they are preparing to move into the new school building and classroom by collecting their belongings, Ibuki notices Peko and Fuyuhiko are like a mature couple. Teruteru begins finding a way to make the conversation more awkward than it should be until Ibuki pretends her foot accidentally slipped to send Teruteru flying across the other side of the classroom before he can continue any further.
When Fuyuhiko notices that both Mikan Tsumiki and the Ultimate Imposter are missing from the classroom, Kazuichi Soda thinks that they're doing "extracurricular studies" together. Upon hearing this, Teruteru then visually describes Soda's thoughts using a donut and a banana, before Gundham Tanaka's bear bites both of their hands.
After learning about the Izuru Kamukura Project and The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy via an email sent out by Junko Enoshima, the Reserve Course students begin to riot. Teruteru is seen hugging Kazuichi out of fear as he watches this from his new classroom.
Teruteru and the rest of the class are shocked to learn that Nagito saw Mikan in the West District and immediately started searching for her on the school grounds.
The class reconvenes at the school classroom as they are unable to find Mikan. Teruteru thought that what Nagito saw may have been a case of mistaken identity. Chiaki reaches the classroom with an unconscious Nagito, explaining to them that Chisa is in danger. Teruteru becomes concerned by this although agrees to help. Nagito convincingly makes it clear that it'll be dangerous and there is a possibility of them dying, to which Teruteru contemplates these concerns but Chiaki convinces him otherwise.
The Ultimate Imposter reveals his true identity, to Teruteru's shock along with the rest of the class although they come to accept it quickly. After leaving the Main Course building, the Reserve Course students seek to take them on in a battle to open placements on the Main Course, Teruteru and the class go on ahead, leaving Nekomaru and Gundham to fend them off.
On the way down the stairway to Junko's lair, Teruteru believes that with the underground passageway being on the school grounds, it's possible Junko and the school are in 'cahoots'.
Teruteru and the class continue down the corridor after making their descent of the stairway, Mikan eventually catching up with them. Upon hearing from Mikan, who lies that Chiaki is resting her ankle in one of the nearby rooms, Kazuichi suggests that they should have left Nagito with her, feeling the effects of Nagito's weight on his back. Teruteru requests carrying Nagito, saying he falls within his 'spectrum', to Kazuichi's dismay, Teruteru begins to explain what he means, until a door is flung open, pushing Teruteru to the right. Gundham and Nekomaru appear from the dark room. Ibuki proclaims all that is left is to save Chisa, to which Teruteru and the rest of the class agree.
Mikan, now leading the group, approaches a large red door at the end of the corridor, pressing a button which opens the door, Teruteru and the rest of the class follow her inside. Once inside, Junko reveals multiple monitors showing Chiaki Nanami's Punishment, Teruteru horrified by what he is seeing, exclaims 'make it stop' but is powerless to do anything.
Once Chiaki reaches the "goal" in her execution, she opens the door. She sees Teruteru, the rest of the class, and Chisa on the other side. Once she reaches for Chisa's hand, spikes appear from under the ground and stab Chiaki everywhere on her body. As the broadcast ends, Teruteru and the class falls silent, with a patterned swirl in their eyes, they have lost all their hope and are now Ultimate Despair.
Teruteru and the rest of the class have returned to the classroom, receiving their final lesson before graduation. Chisa stated that she has been honored to be their teacher and started reading a letter she prepared. Teruteru and the rest of the class clap with gratitude.
After the speech, red lights turn on, and Chisa started to cry. The patterned swirls return in their eyes as they all make a declaration of what they will do upon graduation. Teruteru expressed he will 'feed everyone lots of nutritious food'. After bidding her class a final farewell, Chisa activated a bomb that fakes the death of Class 77-B. Teruteru and his class stand outside the school grounds as they watch Hope's Peak's destruction.
Chisa's narration later revealed Teruteru helped to infect the world with despair.
Teruteru makes an unnamed cameo, where he helps out at one of the school's many cafeterias with his being the most popular due to his top-notch cooking and creativity with food. His food, however, is noted as being so good and addictive that it feels drugged. This is most likely true, as Teruteru is known to drug people with his food at times.
It's unknown if during the events of the novel he was already a member of Ultimate Despair but, considering that the novel takes place just before the beginning of The Tragedy, is highly probable.
During the Tragedy
At some point after this, Teruteru joined the Ultimate Despair group that was founded by Junko. The members of Ultimate Despair did all kinds of horrible things during the Tragedy, causing despair all over the world.
After the death of Junko, the remnants of the Ultimate Despair agreed to an insane plan to have AI Junko take over their bodies, so they could resurrect their leader.
The remnants of Despair are later found by Future Foundation. Makoto Naegi plans to undo Junko's influence by putting them into the Neo World Program, but the program is taken over by AI Junko, right according to the Ultimate Despair's plan.
As a member of Ultimate Despair, Teruteru is seen in the flashback, busy injecting poison into his foods, ready to spread despair by killing starving people with his deadly foods.
Prologue - Welcome to Dangan Island! Panic at the Heart-Throbbing School Trip!?
Teruteru was one of the students who did not panic when they were transported to Jabberwock Island. He, along with everyone else, went exploring after Usami dismissed them.
Hajime Hinata first runs into Teruteru at the Hotel Restaurant, where he is seen hitting on Sonia. He is one of the people who is actually looking forward to having a good time on Jabberwock Island, although he notes that the Restaurant's food is satisfactory. When Monokuma appears and takes over the Island, Teruteru denies all that is happening around him.
Chapter 1 - Destination Despair
Teruteru is one of the students that show up for the Ultimate Imposter's party, offering to cook for everyone in attendance. While preparing all the food, he noticed Nagito, who won the lottery to clean the old lodge, hiding a knife under the table, and confronted him. He became scared that there would definitely be a murder, so Teruteru took it upon himself to try to stop it. As a result, Teruteru ended up killing the Ultimate Imposter by accident, as he was trying to aim for Nagito underneath the floorboards with a skewer that he hides in a huge meat he cooks.
During the Class Trial, everybody all turned against Nagito as he “confessed” to the crime in order to help Teruteru. Hajime eventually deduces that it was, in fact, Teruteru who was the killer. Although he denies it at first, once cornered, Teruteru becomes extremely agitated and loses his normal speech pattern, spewing denials and insults in an incomprehensible dialect. As nobody else but Monomi could understand him, she steps in to translate his ranting into standard, understandable Japanese.
One last piece proved that Teruteru is the killer was showed by Monokuma. He ate one of the party's meat and it's revealed that Teruteru has hidden a skewer inside that meat. Once he is voted guilty, he seems to lose his will to fight, and reveals the truth about Nagito's actions and talks about his mother. Monokuma taunts him, and at the very end, Teruteru cries out for his mother before he is dragged by the neck to his execution.
Epilogue - The Day Before the Future
Currently, Teruteru is most likely comatose, just like most of his classmates. The survivors of the Killing Game are waiting for him and the rest of their classmates to wake up.
Teruteru appeared in Nagito's imaginary world following his death in the Neo World Program.
During morning class, Teruteru fed Grizner a large piece of meat from his skewer.
He later attended Kazuichi Soda's funeral prior to his eventual death at the hands of the World Destroyer, all of his other illusory classmates eventually meeting the same fate in order for Nagito to be woken up.
Teruteru, along with all of his other classmates, waits for Hajime to awaken Nagito from his imaginary world within the Neo World Program. Once Nagito had been woken up, Teruteru along with the rest of Class 77-B board a ship to take them to Future Foundation Headquarters in order to save mankind's last hope from the Final Killing Game, and stop Ryota from broadcasting his Hope Video to the entire world.
Teruteru returned in Side: Hope alongside the rest of the Class 77-B, who had been resurrected by Izuru Kamukura although Izuru was now combined with the personality and memories of Hajime. They arrived at the island where the Future Foundation's off-shore facility was located, having left from Jabberwock Island and proceeded by rescuing Byakuya Togami and Yasuhiro Hagakure from being trapped under rubble, they then began their fight against Ryota's brainwashed rescue squad troops, including the Former Super High School Level Elite Task Force.
Venturing into the underwater facility beneath the main building, Akane commanded Teruteru to begin serving the meat he was cooking from a stove, swallowing it whole and giving her the energy to run at a very fast speed, bumping into Teruteru, causing him to spin uncontrollably. She faced off against the former Ultimate Street Performer, using Teruteru's cooked meat to defeat him.
Later, Teruteru helped convince Ryota to abandon his plan to brainwash the world. When Hajime began persuading him to join them in atonement, he happily accepted Ryota. Teruteru, Ryota, and his classmates all left the broadcasting studio together.
Shortly afterward, Teruteru and the other Former Remnants of Despair shoulder the blame for the Final Killing Game in a broadcast to the Future Foundation, presenting themselves in their despair persona and relieving the organization of any wrongdoing.
With the battle won, Teruteru and the Class 77-B return to Jabberwock Island by boat. All of them enjoying a taste of Teruteru's cooking.
- Main Article: Deep Fried Teruteru
- Teruteru is seen standing up in complete fear as his classmates hesitate to watch. A long metal chain then emerges from a door and wraps itself around Teruteru's neck and mouth. He is then dragged across the floor and dropped into the beach. In the beach, he is seen tied to a pole while staring in the distance in agony. Monokuma then arrives in a big, helicopter with missiles around it. The missiles escape from the helicopter and onto Teruteru. Turns out, the missiles had (egg yolk, grease, whichever one you believe) inside. A final, gigantic missile then rushes to Teruteru this time being filled with breadcrumbs. A chain drops out of the helicopter and once again, grabs Teruteru, this time by the legs. He is taken to a volcano which is believed to be Mount Fuji. The chain lets him go and he dreadfully watches the lava and screams in despair. It doesn't take long for him to be fried inside the volcano and turned into the famous Japanese food, tonkatsu.
Although not much about Teruteru's home life is revealed until the end of Chapter 1, it is shown that he cares a lot about his mother. It even states on his report card in the 'favorite things' section that his 'favorite thing, in this case, is his mother. In a flashback cutscene to when Teruteru first left for Hope's Peak, he showed great hesitation at leaving mother alone to run the Diner, to which she assured him that she would be fine. He confesses he wants to see his mother again, and the last thing he does is scream for his mother before he is executed.
His Brother and Sister
During Teruteru's second Free Time Events, he mentioned that he had a brother and sister who were known as the "Ultimate Male Escort" and the "Ultimate Female Escort". He got very irritated when thinking about them and how they only worked as escorts for the sake of money (or that is his opinion on their reason) and earn more money than him. These comments make Hajime wonder if Teruteru is worried about his siblings, or is jealous of them.
While Nagito tries to be respectful towards the Ultimates, it's quite clear that he dislikes Teruteru. In the beginning of the school trip, he protects the girls from him and tells him to stop when he is acting perverted, appearing annoyed and uncomfortable. He also mentions that he'll keep an eye on Teruteru because of this.
After the first murder, Nagito helped Teruteru, believing that he might have the strongest hope between the two sides. However, after this turned out to be false, he abandoned Teruteru and told him to give up.
In Danganronpa 3, during their time at Hope's Peak, Teruteru is shown to be very grateful when Nagito gave him a magazine with Sayaka on the cover. Despite this, it's later shown that Teruteru does not miss him when he is gone, just like the other students. Later, when Nagito is unconscious, Teruteru offers to carry him, stating that he's still within his strike zone (supposedly referring to the fact that he finds him attractive looking while his personality isn't that attractive).
During the ending credits, when the class is on the beach, Teruteru is covered in octopuses and tries to offer one to Nagito, who appears to politely decline.
Despite having no in-game interactions, the Danganronpa 2 artbook reveals that Teruteru thinks his dress code is interesting, whether he means this sarcastically or literally is unknown.
As for their time together in high school, Kazuichi and Teruteru seem to be friends, supposedly because they both have a bit perverted personality. They are usually seen together in group events, and one time they are seen hugging each other in fear during a riot caused by Reserve Course students.
During their time at Hope's Peak Academy, Hiyoko appeared to enjoy messing with Teruteru, Teruteru appeared to be somewhat annoyed by this as shown when he tells everyone Hiyoko only helped at the end while making the nikujaga. After Teruteru figured out Hiyoko had tampered with his stew he is driven mad with lust and attempted to molest her, only stopping when Chiaki punched him. Hiyoko soon stopped teasing him after, and, according to the relationship chart, Teruteru continued to mention his "daikon" around her.
Sonia is a constant victim of Teruteru's flirtatious ways. He states that the reason he does so is that princesses are always sheltered therefore they are easier to trick. Nagito Komaeda tends to protect Sonia from him, telling him to stop.
During their time on the island, Akane showed love for his dishes when he presented them to the party and, despite his lecherous personality, doesn't think badly of him (though this may be due to her already being used to men lusting for her). She was depressed after his execution, remarking the food on the island wasn't as good as his.
During their time at school, both seemed to be good friends, with her taking some of his doping syrup to improve her bout with Nekomaru. In Side: Hope, they teamed up to face off against a Future Foundation agent.
In the Bonus Mode Ultimate Talent Development Plan, he mentions that when he opens his restaurant, he will give Akane a call. In the anthology, Akane proposes to Teruteru so she can eat his cooking forever with Teruteru agreeing due to her looks. Though, ironically enough, Teruteru becomes quite upset with her not savoring his dishes and her cravings for meat, as well as giving lower quality food the others give her the same praise as his own cooking. In the end, their engagement is broken off due to their personalities clashing too much.
While the two are never seen interacting, it's known that they sometimes mixed concoctions together like the doping corn soup. It is possible that Seiko created the drugs Teruteru sometimes uses for his food. It's unclear if they were friends, or if Seiko just helped him similarly to how she helped other people. Nevertheless, they became enemies after he joined Ultimate Despair and she joined Future Foundation.
Free Time Events & Bonus Mode Guides
The links below are full transcripts and indepth guides for Teruteru Hanamura's relationship routes in Free Time Events, School Mode, and Ultimate Talent Development Plan including his MonoMono Machine Present preferences and most effective dialogue options.
|Free Time Events||Island Mode||Ultimate Talent|
- "Teruteru" (輝々) means “radiance” (repeated twice) in Japanese, while "Hanamura" (花村) means “village of flowers”.
- A typo in the opening movie for the PSP version of the Japanese game writes his surname as "Hanamaru" (花丸). The Vita version corrects this. "Hanamaru" (花丸) means "circle of flowers".
- Despite Teruteru stating that he was born in Azabu and raised in southern Aoyama, both of which are notably upscale areas in Tokyo, when he is agitated he speaks with a heavy accent that is not part of Tokyo's standard Japanese dialect. Hiyoko notices this, and happily announces that he's a liar for it.
- Teruteru is very openly interested in both men and women, which has been shown in multiple scenes:
- In Chapter 1 of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, during the swimming party on the beach, Teruteru asks if anyone would like a "rub down" with suntan lotion. Nekomaru Nidai volunteers, and Teruteru replies: "Rubbing lotion on a muscular man...? All right, no problem! My tastes are pretty open, you know!"
- If Hajime initiates a Free Time Event with Teruteru, one of the possible introductions is: "Your body just can't live without me? Mmhmhmhm, you're such a naughty boy!". Another possible introduction is "That's fine with me! How about we start by getting to know each other? If you'd like, we can get to know each other with our bodies. Why don't you come to my cottage!?"
- If Hajime gives Teruteru a present he enjoys, one of the possible responses is: "Thank you Hajime! I'll return the favor with my body...!"
- In Danganronpa 3 - Side: Despair - Episode 01, Teruteru is tied up and hung from the ceiling by Chisa Yukizome, and says "G-getting tied up by a lady in an a-apron..." but she is quickly replaced by Nekomaru shouting at him, and Teruteru continues "It's a man now? Oh! I can work with this!"
- In the booklet included in the special edition Japanese BluRay release of Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School, Teruteru is described as: "A chef whose passion for sex matches or perhaps even exceeds his passion for food. [...] He seems to be okay with anyone ranging from small girls to older ladies, though it seems like he is also down for men as well."
- Additionally, although it is not considered canon, in Island Mode, Teruteru flirts with Hajime many times:
- Teruteru and Nekomaru are the only two male characters who acknowledge the trips with Hajime as dates (other than Kazuichi Soda, who jokingly calls them "man-dates").
- If Hajime suggests exploring on a Military Park date, Teruteru responds: "Really...? *Sigh* I have no choice... I can’t compete with your curiosity... But in exchange... you need to hold my hand, okay!?"
- If Hajime suggests going to the haunted house on an Amusement Park date, Teruteru responds: "Hmm... It’s not like I’m scared or anything... But if anything happens, all I have to do is leap into Hajime's strong arms... Ah, if I think about it like that, I guess I can do it. Okay, let's go inside!"
- If Hajime says "this looks like fun" on an Amusement Park date, Teruteru responds: "When you come to a place like this, all you gotta do is not think about anything and enjoy it to the fullest! Sooo, why don’t you free yourself from the constraints of daily life and show me your birthday suit!?"
- If Hajime suggests eating popcorn on a Movie Theater date, Teruteru responds: "Of course! Is there even a point to eating popcorn outside of a movie theater!? Especially in the dark, when two people reach into the popcorn bag and their hands brush against each other... That's why popcorn is so important! It's what causes situations like that! Now then, why don't we both go sit in the dark together and do some feeling around for ourselves?"
- If Hajime suggests taking their clothes off on a beach date, Teruteru responds: "Hmhm... Wow Hajime, how bold of you. Fine then! Show me everything you've got! Just like the day you were born... and then, come leap into my arms...!"
- Teruteru's execution mimics that of Leon Kuwata from Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Both him and Leon were dragged off from the trial by a chain around the neck, then strapped onto a pole in a symbolic fashion.
- After Chapter 1, the "X" on Teruteru's sign is shaped like the food court symbol of a fork and knife crossing each other, in reference to his Ultimate title.
- Teruteru screams "AVRIL LAVIGNE!" when cornered in the Class Trial. Avril Lavigne is a Canadian singer/songwriter and actress.
- During his Panic Talk Action, one of his remarks is "P-PARIS HILTON!" - referring to Paris Whitney Hilton, a female American socialite, actress, and entertainer.
- In Danganronpa 3 (Despair Arc), he makes reference to Taylor Swift, a singer who has blonde hair much like Paris Hilton.
- In Danganronpa 3 (Side: Hope), he screams "Justin Bieber!" as Akane runs past him. Justin Bieber is also a Canadian singer and songwriter.
- Teruteru is referenced in Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls by a restaurant named Pig★Boy. The logo shows a pig dressed almost identically to Teruteru, even sporting the same hair. The restaurant itself could be a reference to Teruteru's execution, which is called Tonkatsu no Hanamura in the original Japanese release - since tonkatsu is fried pork cutlets.
- Teruteru shares his English voice actor, Todd Haberkorn, with Korekiyo Shinguji.
- Teruteru's Japanese voice actor, Jun Fukuyama, also voiced Tarō Kurosaki in Danganronpa 3 - Despair Arc.