After Mukuro (disguised as Junko Enoshima) violated one of the school rules by using violence towards Monokuma, he immediately called upon the Spears of Gungnir, which emerged from the floor and impaled Mukuro all over her body.
In Chapter 5, Junko used Mukuro's body as the "victim" of the fifth murder case in order to frame Kyoko Kirigiri, the Ultimate Detective, for murder, allowing the latter to be executed in the Class Trial.
- In Norse mythology, Gungnir was the Legendary weapon of Odin, once used to fight the monstrous wolf Fenrir during Ragnarok.
- Fenrir was also the name of the mercenary group which Mukuro was affiliated.
- Mukuro's death was similar to Chiaki Nanami's death in Danganronpa 3 - Despair Arc, due to both victims being suddenly impaled by dozens of spears. Both deaths also doubled as acts of betrayal from those who were closest to them (Junko in Mukuro's case and Chisa Yukizome in Chiaki's case).
- The Spears of Gungnir were referenced in Island Mode as a constructable tool. The spears with chains on the handle found in Nezumi Castle, one of which was used in Nagito Komaeda's death, were also referred to as Spears of Gungnir by Monokuma.
- In Danganronpa: Kibō no Gakuen to Zetsubō no Kōkōsei THE STAGE (2014), the Spears of Gungnir were used as the main method of execution.