The Killing School Semester (コロシアイ新学期), New Semester of Mutual Killing in Japanese, is a killing game featured in Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. Like the Killing School Life, Killing School Trip and the Final Killing Game, it is hosted by Monokuma, now accompanied by the Monokuma Kubs. The killing game was held in the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles.
The Killing School Semester is the 53rd season of the long-running fictional in-universe Danganronpa franchise, which includes a series of games, anime, and later live-action dramas performed actors. It was created and executed by Team Danganronpa as the true Masterminds of the season, with Tsumugi Shirogane as the "ringleader" within the killing game.
However, due to a number of holes in Tsumugi's story which make her an unreliable narrator during Chapter 6, whether or not she was telling the truth is deliberately left up to the player's interpretation; as a result, it is up to the player whether they believe the Killing School Semester story was truly part of a fictional in-universe series or not.
List of Rules
The Ultimate Academy enforces strict rules among its student body. Students who violate these rules may be exterminated with extreme prejudice by the Exisals—highly mobile, bipedal weapon platforms. There are a total of five Exisals at the Ultimate Academy. Each one is a different color and piloted by a Monokub.
- Rule #1: Students must live at the Ultimate Academy for the remainder of their foreseeable future.
- Rule #2: Once a murder takes place, all surviving students must participate in a class trial.
- Rule #3: If the blackened is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed.
- Rule #4: If the blackened is not exposed, all remaining students will be executed.
- Rule #5: If the blackened survives the class trial, they will graduate and re-enter the outside world.
- Rule #6: The killing game and class trials will continue until only two surviving students remain.
- Rule #7: "Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. The dining hall and gymnasium are off-limits at night.
- Rule #8: Violence toward Monokuma, the headmaster of the Ultimate Academy, is strictly prohibited.
- Rule #9: Monokuma will never directly commit a murder.
- Rule #10: Your Monopads are very important items. Please do not damage them.
- Rule #11: The "Body Discovery Announcement" will play when three or more students discover a body.
- Rule #12: With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore the campus at your discretion.
- Rule #13: Students who violate these rules will be immediately exterminated by the Exisals.
- Rule #14: Further, there may be new additions to the school rules according to the convenience of the headmaster.
The following rules were added later:
- Rule #14: Swimming is prohibited in the pool during nighttime. Touching the water is also against the school rules.
- Rule #15: If two different murders by different murderers occur at the same time, only the one whose victim was found first will be the blackened.
During the killing game, Monokuma decided to make motives in order to escalate the desire of the students to kill each other.
- Motive #1: The First Blood Perk and The Time Limit
- Monokuma began by enforcing the First Blood Perk, a perk that allowed whoever murdered first to leave the school immediately without any class trial. However, the students aren't convinced and decide to refrain from murdering each other. In a state of panic, Monokuma adds a time limit, and if a murder is not committed within that time limit then everyone will be executed. Wanting her Ultimate Real Fiction to continue, Tsumugi Shirogane frames Kaede Akamatsu for killing Rantaro Amami so she can continue her killing game.
- Motive #2: Killing Among Loved Ones (Swapped)
- Much like the first motive in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, the motive came in the form of a disc that held a video of the students closest person to them. However, Monokuma randomised who got what, forcing the students to form distrust among one another. Kirumi Tojo murders Ryoma Hoshi after receiving her own motive video and finding out she is the Prime Minister of Japan.
- Motive #3: The Necronomicon
- For this motive, Monokuma claimed that the students could bring a single person back to life by using the Necronomicon and follow the instructions in it. Most of the students aren't fooled, however, Angie Yonaga falls for it and Korekiyo Shinguji uses this to murder both her and Tenko Chabashira to make them his deceased sister's friends.
- Motive #4: The Key Card and The Truth About The Outside World
- Monokuma presented the students with a key card for this motive, along with the ability to find out the truth about what's going on outside where they are. Kokichi Oma, eager to uncover the mystery and end the killing game, tricks Gonta Gokuhara into killing Miu Iruma and giving him both the Key Card and the Truth. Kokichi ends up learning the truth (which in turn leads to the 5th murder) and, in a fit of rage, brute forces his way down the Death Road of Despair. Unfortunately for him, both this and the hidden door in the library don't work with the key card. It is unknown where it would've lead.
|Chapter 1||Rantaro Amami
by Tsumugi Shirogane
|Chapter 2||Ryoma Hoshi
by Kirumi Tojo
Fell to death
|Chapter 3||Angie Yonaga
by Korekiyo Shinguji
by Korekiyo Shinguji
|Chapter 4||Miu Iruma
by Gonta Gokuhara
|Chapter 5||Kokichi Oma
by Kaito Momota
Succumbed to his illness
|Chapter 6||None||Tsumugi Shirogane|
|Himiko Yumeno, Maki Harukawa and Shuichi Saihara|
Results and Aftermath
Determined to end Danganronpa, the survivors rallied against their apparent fates to escape with their lives. To save them, K1-B0 destroyed the academy and the cage surrounding it, killing the Mastermind. He also risked his life to let the killing games end. Amidst the destruction, Shuichi, Maki, and Himiko survive and escape the show's set.
- This killing game has the second fewest survivors in the franchise after The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy, with only three survivors out of 16, and the fewest survivors in a game entry for the franchise.