Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, known in Japan as Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Farewell Despair Academy (スーパーダンガンロンパ2 さよなら絶望学園), is a Japanese visual novel game developed by Spike Chunsoft. It is the second main title in the Danganronpa series and is a sequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.
It was first released in Japan on July 26th, 2012 for the PlayStation Portable, and later on December 10th, 2013 for the PlayStation Vita. The game was launched for the North America and European release by NIS America on September 24th, 2013 on the PlayStation Vita. A port for Microsoft Windows was released on April 18th, 2016, followed by being ported to the PlayStation 4 alongside Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on March 14th, 2017.
The game was later re-released with additional content as part of the Danganronpa 1.2 Reload collection on the PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, and PC with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. A port of this collection was launched for Android and iOS devices worldwide on August 20th, 2020 as part of Danganronpa 10th Anniversary celebration. In June 15th, 2021, it was announced that Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc would be released on the Nintendo Switch as a physical-only bundle for Danganronpa Decadence, or individually in the Nintendo e-Shop.
In Danganronpa 2, the player controls the main protagonist and playable character Hajime Hinata. The gameplay is very similar to the first game, so please check the gameplay section in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc first.
A major change in the game was that Hajime is able to walk around the Jabberwock Island in 2D. Very noticeable changes were made in the Class Trial segments:
- Nonstop Debate
- There are now blue lines during Nonstop Debate; contrary to the typical orange lines which are fired at to express contradictory information, these blue lines are fired at in order to express information supporting the point.
- Chatter may require more hits to silence.
- Panic Talk Action and Hangman's Gambit have been revamped.
- Instead of hearts and stars to represent health and concentration, there are bars that go down if you lose health.
- There are two all-new minigames: Logic Dive, a hybrid of racing, platforming, and quizzing, and Rebuttal Showdown, a game that combines a Nonstop Debate with slashing action.
|Class Trials||Presents||Free Time
Miracle ★ Monomi
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair takes place shortly after the events of Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls. The game is from Hajime Hinata's point of view as he starts his first year at Hope's Peak Academy. As he walks into the school building, he is overcome with fatigue; when he recovers, he finds himself in front of a door. He has a strong urge to open it, and once he does, he finds himself in a classroom full of his new classmates.
They suddenly find themselves locked in the classroom, and a pink bunny, Usami, appears before them, claiming herself to be the class' teacher. The classroom around them soon falls away to reveal a paradise-like island. Usami tells them that they are on a school trip and that they are to befriend each other to gain Hope Fragments and make their hope grow.
|Monokuma (モノクマ)||Usami (ウサミ)|
|Takako Sasuga |
|➤ Official Profile||➤ Official Profile|
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair received critical acclaim. Famitsu gave the game a score of 37/40, based on four scores of 10, 9, 9, and 9, and was voted the best game of 2012 by its readers, with an average reader rating of 9.79 out of 10.
Upon its release in North America, the game was met with praise. Japanese game specialist Hardcore Gamer gave the game a 4.5/5, and PushSquare gave it an 8/10. Cubed3 awarded a 9/10, highlighting an "exceptional plot" that "is every bit as an emotional rollercoaster as the first game," going on to say, "Coupled with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, this is a series no visual novel aficionado can do without."
Danganronpa 2 debuted higher than its predecessor, peaking at number 5 and selling over 69,000 copies its opening week. The game has also sold more than 200,000 copies in Europe and North America.
Danganronpa 2 received an Award for Excellence at the Japan Game Awards in 2013.
|Famitsu||Game of the Year (Readers)|
|Hardcore Gamer||Best PS VITA Game|
Best New Character (Monokuma)
Best Adventure Game
- Main article: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Original Soundtrack)
- The game's third chapter's name, 'Trapped by the Ocean Scent', has the same name as one of the songs on the game's soundtrack, 'Trapped by the Ocean Scent', also known as 'Ocean Breeze Dead End'.
- The game's fourth chapter's name, 'Do Ultimate Robots Dream of Clockwork?', is a reference to the science fiction novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick.
- The game's first English trailer did not translate Sonia's homeland to Novoselic. This was corrected in the English game's opening.
- The reason why Danganronpa 2 has two CERO ratings is that Danganronpa wanted to bring younger people to the game by making it 15+; however, the rating was changed when Spike Chunsoft released Danganronpa 1.2 Reload and made it 17+ once again.
- In the NISA localization, most of the characters' heights are listed as a few centimeters shorter than they were in the Japanese version.
- Review: Danganronpa 2, Goodbye Despair
- Famitsu Review Scores (7/7/12)
- Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Review - GameSpot
- Famitsu Ranks.
- Weekly sells 2012.
- Danganronpa Sells more than 200,000 copies in NA and EU.
- Japanese Gamers' Favorite Games of 2012 Might Surprise You
- Hardcore Gamer Best of 2014
- Hardcore Gamer Best of 2014
|Console Games||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair • Danganronpa 1.2 Reload • Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony • Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp • Danganronpa Trilogy • Danganronpa Decadence|
|Betas & Demos||DISTRUST • Danganronpa 1 (Trial Version) • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (Demo Version)|
|Mobile Apps||Danganronpa: Unlimited Battle • Danganronpa: Monokuma no Gyakushū • Alter Ego (App)|
|Browser Games||Monokuma Factory • MonoMono Machine Web Version • New MonoMono Machine|
|Spin-Offs||Cyber Danganronpa VR The Class Trial • Kirigiriso|